View Single Post
Old
03-29-2013, 02:34 AM
shazariahl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
More or less my view.

He separated himself from the pack (which is why there's a "big 4"), but there's virtually no argument for him over Gretzky.

At least there's an interesting debate against Howe and Orr, dunno why all the Mario supporters have such a bone to pick with Gretzky.
Funny you mention that, because I've always felt the same way. But many Lemieux fans complain about Gretzky's lack of size, something they can't say about Orr and Howe, both of whom were far more physical than Lemieux. I think for them, Gretzky just doesn't fit the mold of what a hockey player "should" be. Lemieux was bigger and had more obvious physical gifts, which to many of his supporters is more important than Gretzky's superior statistical dominance.

I actually think Lemieux vs Orr is a much more interesting debate. Both dominated when healthy but lost significant amounts of time due to injury. Orr was the better two way player, but he lasted even less time than Lemieux did. He also had a dominant team for a lot longer, yet only managed to win 2 cups, just like Lemieux.

Personally, I put Orr above him. But I think there are a lot more similarities between Mario's career and Bobby's, than between him and Wayne.