View Single Post
Old
03-29-2013, 06:26 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
John Tortorella Discusses NYR Offense/Defense on Michael Kay

http://snyrangersblog.com/coachesgm/...ce=twitterfeed

On the star players, “You just look at Brad on the fifth goal and he allowed the play to come to him. He waits for the offense to come to him. I think that is such a telling tale for Brad and to let the offense come to him. It opens up the game. Step has been one of our best players all year long. Chris Kreider played very well. Miller played really well. We need to stay with what we are doing well and hope that our guys feel better about the game. Coaches can’t teach creativity.”

On living with defensive mistakes, “It’s an easy thing for people to say, people say many times about me that I don’t let my offensive players play and all it is is defense, defense defense. It’s so untrue. You just will not win in this league unless you play strong defense. When you talk about defense, people just think it’s about being in your end zone. Defense starts when you don’t have the puck, so that is something we have been working on. We are trying to establish our forecheck more so we don’t spend time in our endzone. We have a huge injury with Marc Staal and I have a huge amount of respect for how the guys have reacted, not just the defensemen but our forwards. You have to play stronger team defense when you lose a cog like that. It’s easy to pick apart a team and say that your offensive guys aren’t going so you aren’t letting them play. I don’t buy it. You win championships, you get into and compete in the playoffs if you understand how to play away from the puck cause if you do, you have the puck more and your offensive people have it more.