View Single Post
Old
03-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I guess it depends on playing with Justin Schultz is a long term goal, or a short-term goal. Based on the whole context, it sounds like the Oilers have a lot of confidence in this young man, and I'm reading that they want a Klefbom-Schultz pairing next year. Is that what everybody else is gleaning from this?

If that's true, I think it's a mistake. The same mistake the Oilers made in assuming Petry-Smid would automatically carry on with their excellent play at the end of last year. These are young defenceman and they will have ups and down season to season even in their mid 20's. They should have signed a veteran dman to provide insurance in case these guys faltered, that was one of the biggest mistakes that Tambo made going into the year.

Klefbom is an even younger defenceman, and I think it would be foolish to think he can just jump into a top 4 role next year. Maybe he can, but you can't put all your eggs into one basket. I really hope Tambellini has learned a lesson from this year, and brings in a top 4 veteran to provide that insurance.
If you Make the playoffs, I would say taking the tack of having Klefbom play isn't the end of the world, it's about the experience. If they brought him in and played him as if he was someone who would "put them over the top" then that would be Much different.

Lets be honest, if the Oilers somehow make the playoffs, there's no expectations for the team.