View Single Post
Old
03-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Halak Ness Monster

vCash: 500
Luckily I watched NCAA basketball last night over the Blues. There isn't a good reason to watch a Kings-Blues game anymore. I watched about 10 minutes but that was it. At 2-2, I knew heartache was moments away.

I say "luckily" because my emotions are more in check than someone who invested 2.5 hours in last night's game. Therefore I'm not ready to sell off parts of the core...yet.

The time for that will be this offseason IF IF IF the Blues miss the playoffs this season or if they get beat down in round 1. If that is the case then the question needs to be asked: "What has this core done that is so great that it can't be altered?"

Many have had playoff aspirations and hopes since they made it to the playoffs in 2008-2009 and lost to Vancouver. Since then we have only added more talent and experience to our core. Since then we will have only made the playoffs in 1 season out of 4 IF they don't make the playoffs. If they do and lose in the 1st round, they will have won one playoff series in 4 years. In that same time, 2 coaches have been fired thanks in part to a good chunk of this core. Not an ideal ratio.

I'm sure Armstrong is scouring the market for any improvements he can find but as Ray Shero said, the price for rentals is astronomical. We will likely just have to make do.

If the Blues miss the playoffs, I'd be prepared to make wholesale changes to the core. I wouldn't have a good reason to say don't do it. Inconsistency and underachievement would define these youngsters if they miss the playoffs this year.

ALL THAT SAID...they won't miss the playoffs. I just can't see it happening. There's too much talent on this team. Now a first round beat down could easily happen.

This team reminds me a lot of the Florida Panthers from 4-5 years ago. Back when they were building a "strong" young core of early draft picks and young acquisitions including Nathan Horton, Stephen Weiss, Michael Frolik, Rostislav Olesz, David Booth, Jay Bouwmeester, and Keith Ballard. The only problem was that the core really wasn't all that great and there were still plenty of holes that were left unfilled because the owners were working on a tight budget. The scary thing is that this Blues team is stronger but yet still struggles.(Spare me the "this minor detail is wrong with your comparison" replies. Comparisons are rarely 100% accurate.)