Thread: Player Discussion: Marian Gaborik
View Single Post
Old
03-29-2013, 01:34 PM
zuckera1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I have to ask, but where is the line drawn for Gaborik and why does Richards get your pass even though he has clearly been worse? I find it odd.
I am, by no means, giving Richie a pass for this season. He's underachieved tremendously, but I have more faith in Brad Richards. It's hard to explain, I just feel that his clutch play in last year's playoffs is overlooked and conveniently forgotten. Even when Richards is off, he brings more to the table in terms of effort, defensive play, play-making ability, and leadership, than Gaborik does. Gaborik, when right, is more talented than Richards with his scoring ability, but is utterly useless when off. I feel Gabby hasn't shown enough effort this year.

Given their contracts, it would be smart to get some value from Gaborik before his contract expires next year. Richards will most likely be bought out after next season, but I'd rather have him on my team in the playoffs for the next two years than Gaborik. There's no way we resign Gaborik after next year if we keep him. Let's try to get some depth for him to give us a better chance. We also would have extra cap space to sign someone after this year.