Thread: Player Discussion: Oliver Lauridsen (The Great Dane)
View Single Post
Old
03-29-2013, 01:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
This mentality is exactly why we don't develop NHL defensemen. You act like all those defensemen are never gonna make it even though they are all in their low 20s. If a defensemen isn't playing great by the time he is 22 we seem to give up on him. Give some of those guys some time, and they may come around. One off year for Manning isn't the end of the world.
I don't think that is the case. Just because a guy is young doesn't mean he is always going to get better. None of the aforementioned players have shown any real indication that they can be career NHLers.

Manning and Gus were undrafted free agents, no one really expected them to do anything. Just because they are young doesn't mean they'll get any better than they are now. I would understand if these guys were high ceiling players when acquired, but they were really just signed to fill spots in the AHL and hope they make the NHL. Gus is 24, based upon what he has shown at the AHL and NHL level, there is no real indication that he will be much better than he is now. Manning is younger, but he has shown even less than Gus. Again, I would understand if these guys had high ceilings when they were signed why you would be concerned about letting them develop, but when they were signed it was pretty much understood that this was where they would be unless the team got lucky. They didn't.

Bourdon I can see having more patience with. He has had some injury problem but has shown some promise. But he also has spent time in the ECHL because he wasn't playing well in the AHL.

Having patience is one thing. Sitting around waiting just because a guy is young completely different.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote