Thread: Player Discussion: Oliver Lauridsen (The Great Dane)
View Single Post
Old
03-29-2013, 03:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Forwards like McGinn and Schenn looked fine in the AHL and showed when they were ready. So I do think quality of play should be a determining factor when to call up a defenseman. Its not like they are required to rack up points, just play effective in your end of the ice.
McGinn's success at the AHL wasn't nearly enough to compare it to the amount of success he had at the NHL level.

McGinn was decent in the AHL, but not nearly solid enough to expect such quality NHL play. Zolnierczyk and Wellwood were similar situations as well when they first arrived. Pretty much every defensemen we've called up has also struggled in the AHL in recent years before playing well enough (in our eyes anyway) to make a positive impact on the Flyers.

While I don't think it's realistic to expect that all those players would've panned out for the better otherwise, I think there is something to be said about the use of our developmental program.

We use a different kind of coach, in a different kind of setting, in a different kind of system, on a team owned by a completely different organization that has separate goals even if both teams share a GM.

It's not good when one guy comes in and has positive success for the first time in years, but is almost immediately shown the door for a guy like Terry Murray, who is running what is completely the opposite system that Lavi is running.

It's not a good way to develop players. It's not a good way to make players feel like they can accomplish anything (see: Lehtivuori, Hovinen, etc.). And it's certainly not a good way to make your head coach feel welcome when you have an NHL head coach teaching your prospects a completely different system at the developmental level.

Are we supposed to be shocked that there is a defeatist atmosphere in Glens Falls and that players like Bourdon, with potentially promising careers ahead of them, are willing to lie about concussion issues desperate to never go back?

The Adirondack Phantoms are a sinkhole. I pray things start to change when they move back to the area.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote