View Single Post
03-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Registered Smut User
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by moose vasko View Post
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing about (we both acknowledge that Oduya is a question mark), but while good puck support will help him (and having the wingers hold up the forecheckers wouldn't hurt either although it's not so easy these days), you can't hide him and it's not just losing battles--he does tend to cough it up pretty easily. If our pairings are top 5 as you say, that's fine, but doesn't mean much when down to the last 8 then 4 teams. We'll see how it plays out, but I just think Rozy might be a better choice later on for handling the heavy lifting. I hope he stays healthy.
I think we're just spoiled and Oduya is average. Keith, Seabs, Hammer, Leddy, Rozi, (Campbell) are all excellent at breaking out of strong pressure on the forecheck for the most part. It's still a calculated risk though.

It's unacceptable to give teams who rely on the forecheck that opportunity. When Q sees this he needs to make sure all of Toews/Kane/Shaw/Kruger stay back as their linemates change and render the forecheck useless. This, in turn, makes teams like Phoenix, St. Louis, Los Angeles and Anaheim look stupid because you make a big part of their game and effort level a waste of time. Worst case scenario is a young talented player gets double shifted and I have no problem with that nor do they.