View Single Post
Old
03-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Times have changed. Look at the series between the Sens and Rangers and Flyers-Pitts last year. It was pretty gritty and physical, many fights.
Fights do happen in the playoffs. Goon fights do not. In fact, like half the fights in the playoffs last year were between star players.

Even in the crazier series there was rarely more than one fight filled game per series. Hardly shows any sort of trend. The Flyers-Pens series was a gongshow in which neither team played defense.

I understand targetting grit for the playoffs completely. The Kings 4th line was huge in the playoffs. But goons don't play, even if you think we need a heavyweight enforcer to play 13th forward that's something that can be addressed in the off season. Saying it's useless to target non-fighters is kind of ridiculous. Smid would be a hundred times more useful than a non-NHLer like Bickel even if the latter fights more. I'd take Jagr over a Westgarth.

If Hartnell or Simmonds is available, awesome. But I doubt they are. The Flyers aren't blowing up after one bad year.