View Single Post
Old
03-29-2013, 08:32 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibs View Post
So Flyers do that trade again knowing they would be without Pronger a couple year later?
I think the Flyers' brass would absolutely do them again.

And that's the issue I always had with the trades... there is a massive disconnect between trading 2 of your best 3 forwards for futures and using the cap money to sign a 30 year old goalie to a crippling contract while keeping your soon to be 37 year old franchise defenseman, who is coming off a very serious back injury / surgery (to the point where he couldn't skate) and his least productive season since the late 90s. Not to mention the decision to also keep 36 year old Kimmo Timonen and 34 year old Daniel Briere.

It should've been painfully obvious to a good GM that Chris Pronger and Kimmo Timonen and even Daniel Briere likely would no longer be with the club or at the very least would be shells of their former selves by the time the guys they acquired in the Richie and Carter trades were in their primes and hence they should've been dealt to complete a proper rebuild. Had they done so, this team might currently be stacked w/ a few more top forward prospects, and 1-2 top defensive prospects (instead of the zero we have now). Unfortunately, it seems like our delusional owner and delusional GM actually believed that they could replace two franchise centers with rookies and young players, plug Bryz in, plug a 40 year old Jagr who hadn't played in the NHL for quite some time in and actually be a legit cup contender.

Clearly we've all seen now how that "plan" (if you can even call it that) worked out (or rather didn't).

But that's always been the problem with Holmgren; no long-term vision. Everything is a short-sighted overreaction to what happened last season. Hopefully he's learned from those mistakes and he'll sell at this deadline, but I kind of doubt it.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote