View Single Post
Old
03-29-2013, 10:24 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

vCash: 500
Armstrong is aggressive, but this shortened year is weird. He probably wants to shake it up, but will only do so if a deal is available that won't mutilate the team. Bouwmeester, for example, has probably been available for a while and the Blues haven't paid the price yet. Six million for just a year is a problem, and if I'm Calgary and I'm trading him, I'm more likely to hang onto him and deal him next year than I am to accept some complicated conditional picks a year or more down the line. And if Calgary is expected to retain a large chunk of his salary, the Blues will have to overpay. Some people feel more strongly one way or another about this, but I'm not sure Bouwmeester is a guy for whom you overpay.

If they're dealing core players like Oshie, Berglund, or Perron, and especially if you're overpaying, you shoot for somebody more like Yandle, who is signed for longer and has performed well in the playoffs.

The team's future is definitely with guys like Tarasenko and Schwartz, but they are not the team's present, yet. That's the big problem. You can't deal them, but they aren't ready to be huge contributors, either. So you're going to have an odd space in your roster. I think they both belong in the NHL right now, but it's far easier to bring along players like that when you have serious top line talent. So, yes, I'm all for bundling multiple pieces to make the Blues more top-heavy. The problem is, who's available? Maybe Thornton and that's about it. Another expensive guy with just one more year on his deal.

I'm not panicking, but for the sake of speculation, now (or this offseason) might be an ideal time to move Backes. His value is still high and even though he's the type of player every team wants, he's also the type of player who doesn't get the job done until you can bring in top-flight talent to surround him - just like with Brown in LA. And if the Blues cannot afford top-flight talent to go along WITH Backes (due to money, assets, or both), it's time to consider getting top-flight talent FOR him.

Last edited by rumrokh: 03-30-2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: grammar
rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote