View Single Post
Old
03-30-2013, 12:21 AM
SA16
Two by two...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
You know, for such an incredible goal scorer, I really don't find Gaborik to be good at creating offense at all. He usually just finishes what someone else started. Nothing wrong with that as it works with great efficiency (and I love Gaborik). Hard work is NEVER overrated. If this team had half the heart they did last year, we'd have a few more wins by now.

Gaborik is obviously, a better player than Callahan but I don't find it to be really that distant. Callahan is a Swiss Army knife and for all of Gabby's skill, he isn't really in that top tier of players.
Maybe instead of create I should have said something like "generates scoring chances with great vision/passing" and such. It's not like we're talking about a one dimension scorer like say a Jeff Carter who gets very few assists. Gaboriks career gpg = his assists per game - he's had 40 assists several times etc... He can set plays up. By create I don't mean skate around people, dangle etc..That's more Nash's game and certainly not Gaboriks.

And anyway I'd say Gaborik works as hard as anyone. He just plays a different style such that when not producting it doesn't seem like he is since he's not your constant skate around type (hagelin), hit everyone in the way (callahan), dive to block all shots that are there (callahan) but he works hard at trying to play his game. You dont score 40 goals and 80 points and consistently be a PPG player by being a lazy player. Some styles are just more conducive to appearing as "hard working" from the outside and that style is essentially only the defensive/grinding/checking one. Any perimeter style player pretty much appears lazy and uninterested when they are going through rough stretches and not scoring...doesn't mean they are not trying though.