Thread: Ryan Callahan
View Single Post
03-30-2013, 01:48 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I don't feel confident when Callahan has the puck. I don't think he is a great puck possession player. He is very good on the forecheck, but he doesn't handle onto the puck enough for me to define him as a puck possession player. He always has the patented to look cross seam pass in the slot which always gets intercepted whenever he is facing pressure. If you want to get deep into the statistics, Gaborik has a higher corsi rating every single year as a Ranger compared to Callahan.
Doesn't seem like you went very deep into the statistics at all.

First off, Gaborik is supposed to have a higher Corsi rating. Corsi is about shots, and it makes sense that the team shoots more when Gaborik is on the ice. His entire job is to shoot! That's his whole game!

It also makes sense that the team shoots more when Gaborik is on the ice than when Callahan is on the ice when you consider that Callahan had the highest Corsi Rel QoC rating among all Ranger forwards last year. Gaborik was 8th on the list.

Gaborik also led the team by a healthy amount in offensive zone start %.

Callahan routinely plays the hardest minutes against the best players. Gaborik is sheltered more than any other player on the team.