View Single Post
Old
03-30-2013, 03:19 AM
Thepandamancan

vCash: 500
You really shouldn't...I just started coaching last summer and I'm like you. I play in leagues and stuff, but I've never had a coach. I had a goalie coach for a bit, and that's the best of my coaching and teaching knowledge when it comes to hockey.

I will say though, it's probably one of the most rewarding experiences ever, working with 9u kids and winning a championship, no one should just start being a coach. My in house league was desperate for coaches and at that age group...there's really no pressure.

I learned a lot by watching YouTube videos. I didn't implement a system (since they're too young to understand) and I still don't. However, I learned a valuable trick when it comes to kids that young...figure out what mistakes they're doing in games and create drills in practice that teaches them how to do things the right way. You can't really give them a lesson, if you mask it as a game or something fun they'll learn it a lot easier.

For my second season, I'm still the head coach of a 9u team, but I also started being the assistant coach for a 16u team and learning from a coach with almost 30 years of experience. I'm learning a lot...learning how to run practices, what to say during games, etc.

At some point, you just gotta jump in and do it. Trial by fire...but if you have a chance, learn from someone and study it.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote