View Single Post
Old
03-30-2013, 05:29 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
I have a hunch Armstrong is playing his cards close to the vest and something's going down by Wednesday.
It will be interesting to see if that's the case. With the Blues, other than sell-off deals like Boyes, Brewer, Bishop, etc., he has made no deadline moves. Unless you want to count the Stewart and Shattenkirk trade, which was really out of the ordinary and I don't think had much to do with the deadline, as it was a while before the deadline and was between two teams who were far out at the time.

He made a lot of deadline deals with Dallas, almost all veteran pickups other than the year he took over, when he dealt Langenbrunner and Nieuwendyk for Arnott, McKay, and a 1st and Rucinsky for Malhotra.

He definitely knew what to do when the Stars were buyers and sellers and when the Blues were sellers. He has also made good moves otherwise: Shattenkirk, Stewart, Sobotka, D'Agostini, and even if you're down on him now, Halak was a fine move at the time because the Blues needed a goaltender pretty badly.

The question is whether or not there's even the possibility of magic with what appear to be the most stringent budget restrictions in the league and a team that's not in a position to buy OR sell.
Something significant is possible, but I'd put more money on a small move or two that have the potential to energize the team enough that they don't slip out of the playoffs. Not because I don't have faith in Army, but because just looking at rosters and contracts, what's available seems rough, and I think he's more likely to be patient than he is to do something rash out of fear.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote