View Single Post
Old
03-30-2013, 08:50 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 235
Third-period rally lands UND in regional final - Jayson Hajdu - UND Athletics Media Relations - UNDSports.com - Friday, March 29.

GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - Trailing Niagara 1-0 with just 20 minutes remaining to extend its season, North Dakota needed a source of offense - any source - to crack goalie Carsen Chubak, the Purple Eagles’ Hobey Baker Award finalist. Enter senior captain Andrew MacWilliam (Calgary, Alberta), he of the three career goals. The bruising defenseman sent a point shot through traffic that beat Chubak high, tying the game just 1:56 into the first period and providing UND for the momentum it had been seeking for much of the first 40 minutes.

Just 57 seconds later, a more familiar goal-scorer, senior Danny Kristo (Eden Prairie, Minn.) converted a wraparound for his WCHA-leading 26th goal of the season to put UND ahead to stay. The win vaulted UND (22-12-7) into Saturday’s NCAA West Region championship game, where it will face Yale.

While his goal ultimately proved to be the game-winner, Kristo said it was MacWilliam’s goal that kick-started UND’s third period rally. “Everyone went out there and did their job and left everything on the ice,” said Kristo. “It was nice to get that (MacWilliam) goal early, and after that we had some momentum.”

MacWilliam said his goal, only his second of the season, was part of a simple UND gameplan. “Their guy slid by me and I just put it on net. They’ve got a good goaltender and that was part of our plan, just getting pucks (on net),” said MacWilliam. “I kind of showed a little patience, which is kind of rare for me sometimes. I’m glad I could chip in.”

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle...B_OEM_ID=13500

Two-goal spurt in third lifts North Dakota to comeback victory against Niagara - The Associated Press - NCAA.com - Friday, March 29.

GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan – Andrew Macilliam and Danny Kristo scored in a 57-second span early in the third period in North Dakota’s 2-1 comeback victory against Niagara on Friday in the NCAA West Regional semifinals. Second-seeded North Dakota (22-12-7) will play Yale on Saturday in the regional finals for a spot in the Frozen Four in Pittsburgh. Fourth-seeded Yale beat top-seeded Minnesota 3-2 in overtime in the opener.

MacWilliam tied it with an unassisted goal, his second goal of the season, at 1:56 of the third, and Kristo put North Dakota in front at 2:53 with his 26th goal. Third-seeded Niagara finished the season 23-10-5. Jason Beattie scored for the Purple Eagles in the second period. Zane Gothberg made 28 saves for North Dakota, and Carsen Chubak stopped 41 shots for Niagara.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-m...-victory-again

Note: Link includes highlights of the game.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-30-2013 at 08:56 AM.