View Single Post
Old
03-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Avs71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Agreed, I think it's still because of who they gave up, but I'm sorry, Kevin Shattenkirk, as GOOD of a player as he is, I don't believe that his Defensive game would have grown with the Avalanche. A lot of posters forget the missteps/rookie mistakes that he had, and they forget that he got out-muscled a lot in the corners for loose pucks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge Shattenkirk fan, but no one will convince me otherwise that he's not benefitting from a great system with Hitchcock, and playing with one of the better Defensemen in the league in Pietrangelo
Just to add to that, Shattenkirk only has 12 points in his last 26 games. People got so tantalized by his quick start where he had 8 points in 7 games, (which wasn't surprising since he played pro hockey during the lockout and was game ready from day 1). After 8 games it looked like the Avs traded Erik Karlsson for Aaron Miller. It's like people think he would have been a lock for 50+ points on the Avs, when in reality, he still looks like he is going to be a ~45ish point puckmover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think people should stop thinking about what they feel EJ should be and instead accept what he is. That way he stops being a 'problem' that has to be dealt with.
I don't think there is anything wrong with still thinking he's going to find a medium between his good defensive game that he has developed the last season and a hald, and bringing back some scoring ability from his first couple years. He is not far off from being a 35 point, strong defensively, minute eater which would be a very valuable defenceman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Tyson Barrie has played only 27 NHL games and has shown improvement not only from last year, but from the beginning of this season.

Erik Johnson has played over 300 games and we're still coming up with reasons why he hasn't taken the next step; it's always his coach, or his partner, or some other external factor.

If the Avalanche try to trade the former for a star defenseman to play with the latter, all that tells me is that they need a star defenseman in general.
I think it is because Johnson has already showed offensive capabilities higher than what Barrie has shown, while doing it at a younger age. But I agree with the notion that Barrie shouldn't be traded. Last thing this fan base needs is the possibility of another high scoring puck mover being traded away.

Last edited by Avs71: 03-30-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote