View Single Post
Old
03-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
First years in the playoffs seem pretty comparable then, other then the fact that Tuukka won a series (out dueling one of the best in the game in Miller) and Thomas didn't.

How good anyone thinks Tuukka is is completely subjective, but it's hard to argue that he isn't good enough (if that makes any sense). Christ, if Fleury can win a Cup Tuukka most certainly can, the guys a frickin sieve. If the problem is the team needs a goalie who can save their rears consistently and have legendary performances, then the problem isn't that we have a really good starter who needs to be far better is it? No, the problem is we have a team that relies on their goalie having a legendary performance.
The team Thomas played on as a 1st year playoff starter is not equal to the one Rask inherited in his.

Thomas was on the 8th seed and put up his numbers against the top seed. The team he faced scored 262 goals that year- most in the conference. Rask faced the 3rd seed (but really 4th best team, since Pitt had more pts in the 4th spot than Buff did in the 3rd). The 2 teams he faced scored 235 and 236 goals that season.

So Thomas did it against a better scoring team, with a worse defense.

I'm not at all disagreeing with your overall point: I "think" Rask can be the starting goaltender on a Cup winning team. I just don't think he's Thomas.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote