View Single Post
Old
03-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree. Bobby Orr was a pioneer. Today, there's a lot of Dmen that can do what he did. Players have evolved, and again, the game is a lot more different today, along with the competition.

Bobby Orr marked the sport. No question about that. But I seriously doubt any Dman can reach 100pts in today's league. Heck, only a few forwards are able to reach that amount.
You have to normalize things though, Bobby Orr would've trained a lot harder in this day and age... he'd be stronger, faster and he would've had a lot longer career and avoided a lot of the knee problems caused by poor surgery techniques of the time.

I remember Lemieux coming back as an old man and completely dominating the game. I don't see any reason why Bobby Orr couldn't have done the same thing now. You're talking about a guy who many people consider the best player of all-time. And Orr wasn't playing in the high flying 80s, the scoring of that era wasn't much different than it is today. Next highest player didn't even crack 100 points.

As for the game being different today, the game is different in large part due to him. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't dominate in today's game.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-30-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote