View Single Post
Old
03-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
It's a bet he is most likely happy to lose. Kind of like insurance.

Who can say said performance would or wouldn't have happened if Subban had been signed long term?You are only upset because you want management to make every single right call with the benefit of hindsight. Nobody thought Subban would pull Norris performance level.

Quite the opposite actually. Go dig up these Subban threads prior to him signing his contract and you'll see a lot - probably the majority of posters on here - wanted Bergevin to give him the longterm contract NOW based on his perceived upside. Obviously, nobody knew for sure he was going to be that good that soon, but most people knew he had it in him.

I haven't changed my opinion in hindsight, it has been my opinion ever since that bridge contract idea was brought up, and many many more Habs fans shared that opinion. Most were willing to give him something along the line of 6 years 30 millions. As it turns out, we'll probably have to pay him closer to 40 millions for the same 6 years contract.

But like I said, I don't think this is a bad thing. If I were in Bergevin's shoes, I would happily pay Subban what he's worth. However, we could have had him for less. Rumors were Subban was looking for a longterm deal at a 4,5M cap-hit I believe.

A similar situation would be Letang in Pittsburgh. Had Shero gone for the bridge contract instead of giving him an extension right after his ELC, they probably wouldn't have been able to bring pieces like Morrow and Iginla to their team.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote