View Single Post
03-30-2013, 05:16 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I think this sums up the situation perfectly.

Bergevin took a gamble, and he's probably going to lose it. That being said, I don't really have an issue with paying Subban what he's worth - and if he is in contention for the Norris by the end of the year, Bergevin will have no choice but to pay him close to Karlsson/Doughty money when we could have had him long term under a 5M cap-hit. If OEL signs at 5,5M, I can easily see Subban pushing the 6,5M, and there would be nothing wrong with that.

What bugs me is that we could have had him for much less, and the actual turn of event was something a large portion of Habs fans saw coming.
I see it differently. In my mind, everyone wins. MB was reticent to give a big contract to someone he wasn't sure could mature proportionately to his skill level and achieve that next level. With this bridge contract, I'm sure there's no longer any doubt.

As of the 14-15 season, PK gets the term and money he's proven he deserves and MTL is getting the elite player they're paying for. Ok fine: MB forgoes the gamble with the possibility of a steal at maybe $5M per, but such is the nature of a gamble. Sometimes you guess right, sometimes you don't.

I don't think an extra $1M to $1.5M/season, longterm is cause for any serious concern. We get our Suberman and PK gets his fortune. Everyone wins!

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote