View Single Post
03-30-2013, 05:47 PM
vCash: 500

Being a Peoria local, and growing up watching the Rivermen...I can tell you that the organization has been in decline for quite a few years. Ticket prices have skyrocketed, concessions are rediculous.
Attendance has been horrible for quite some time. There hasn't been any effort to engage fans besides the occasional cast members of Hanna Montana, but that hasn't been for a couple of years.

I've been attending Rivermen games for 25 years. I remember games being sold out all the time. Especially early 90's. Alot of great nhl players have come though here.

I will be sad to see them go. I was even a Jr. Rivermen in my travel hockey days. But not suprised.

My hope is that a junior level hockey team will be brought in. I've never enjoyed watching more than I did when I went to a Cedar Rapids game. The place only held a couple thousand, but the organization put on a show, not just the players. And the sold out crowd, was really excited about being there. The atmosphere for a regular seaon game was almost as exciting as the last blues playoff game i went to last year.

Something the Rivermen havent had for over a decade. They didn't engage the fans or create excitement and atmosphere that would probably kept the team here They just let it rot away. They were considered an expected operating cost and a loss by the Blues org. Its a shame, No one wanted bring back what the place use to be about. But maybe it's all for the better and I'll get my Junior team with kids who play there hearts out every game.

Rivfan is offline   Reply With Quote