View Single Post
Old
03-30-2013, 07:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Why are you that surprised? Laughton I could see top 20, but top 10? No way. He doesn't have the offensive upside for that classification.

Nick cousins? He racks up points in juniors as a 19 year old, but plays far from a complete game and isn't strong enough to be in contention for a top 10 prospect ranking. I would have been shocked if Cousins made top 30 let alone top 10. I really don't see what so many around here see in him. I don't think his offensive game translates to the NHL level whatsoever. He might serve as a Patrick Kaleta type player though...
Defensively sound forwards are so underrated by the HF Staff who compile these lists that it's borderline disgusting. I'm not a fan of defensive hockey, but I certainly have appreciation for defensively skilled forwards who often face an opposition's top line and have the dubious and unenvious task of keeping the opposition in check. They forgo personal stats at the expense of being the ultimate role player.

Laughton is perhaps the best defensive forward in junior hockey right now, bar none. The job he's done in Oshawa is nothing short of incredible. A point per game player, a demon defensive forward often given the tough assignments of shutting down the opposition's top players, a dynamite player in the face off circle, one of the top penalty killers in the CHL and now cementing himself as a top performer in the post season (his shut down job of Ryan Strome was nothing short of brilliant).

As for Cousins, a Patrick Kaleta type he certainly isn't. His hockey IQ and hands are off the chart. He was a point per game player in his draft year, was over a point per game last year and was a 100 point this year. 291 points in 264 OHL games. He has more skill in his pinky than Kaleta has in his entire body.

I'll admit that Cousins isn't the greatest of skaters in terms of speed and of course, there's also the pending court case. With that being said, Cousins is gritty, not afraid to get his nose dirty and always works in the corners. His shot needs some work but he sees the ice incredibly well and knows where to be on the ice at all times. You can't teach that.

Maybe I'm overvaluing our prospects, but at the same time, I also think people under value them.