Thread: OT: Badminton
View Single Post
Old
08-14-2006, 08:51 AM
GoodKiwi

vCash: 500
OT: Badminton

Hi guys,

I have just started playing badminton. A friend of mine who's pretty good at it has convinced me to join McGill Sports centre. Was wondering if someone here also plays this great game and could help me out a little.

Anyway, I have only played twice so far(6 hours in total) and I'm obviously a big newbie. I'm looking to buy one or two rackets and some shuttlecocks to go with that. I'm playing twice per week, around three hours per each session. I don't know what style of a player I am yet, but I seem to have the most trouble with two things - serves and powerful returns in the back of the court when I'm far in the back myself. My friend told me that serves will get better with more practice, but he's concerned more with my returns. It seems that I lack strength(and/or technique) to be able to do it right. When I'm returning from the back of the court I seem to hit middle of the opposite side of the court and a good player has absolutely no problem smashing it from here. I'd like to be able to return further in the court.

Again, maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about and no racket will fix that - I don't know. I've been playing with cheapest OEM rackets available at the University, so I have no idea what they are even. At this point I would like to have something of my own. So, please recommend me some rackets that will make beginner's life a little easier. :p

If I need to clarify further before you can help me out, please let me know. I will be more than happy to provide as much detail as needed.

Thank you.

P.S. I'm not sure if this thread belongs in here, but the main reason of creating it here is to get a list of local places to buy the equipment. Sorry, if it does not fit the section.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote