View Single Post
03-30-2013, 07:41 PM
How you like me now!
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Defensively sound forwards are so underrated by the HF Staff who compile these lists that it's borderline disgusting. I'm not a fan of defensive hockey, but I certainly have appreciation for defensively skilled forwards who often face an opposition's top line and have the dubious and unenvious task of keeping the opposition in check. They forgo personal stats at the expense of being the ultimate role player.

Laughton is perhaps the best defensive forward in junior hockey right now, bar none. The job he's done in Oshawa is nothing short of incredible. A point per game player, a demon defensive forward often given the tough assignments of shutting down the opposition's top players, a dynamite player in the face off circle, one of the top penalty killers in the CHL and now cementing himself as a top performer in the post season (his shut down job of Ryan Strome was nothing short of brilliant).

As for Cousins, a Patrick Kaleta type he certainly isn't. His hockey IQ and hands are off the chart. He was a point per game player in his draft year, was over a point per game last year and was a 100 point this year. 291 points in 264 OHL games. He has more skill in his pinky than Kaleta has in his entire body.

I'll admit that Cousins isn't the greatest of skaters in terms of speed and of course, there's also the pending court case. With that being said, Cousins is gritty, not afraid to get his nose dirty and always works in the corners. His shot needs some work but he sees the ice incredibly well and knows where to be on the ice at all times. You can't teach that.

Maybe I'm overvaluing our prospects, but at the same time, I also think people under value them.

I agree with you. How can people bash someone when they have never seen them play? I pull for all the Flyer prospects and no matter what I hope they turn into solid pros for the club.