View Single Post
Old
03-30-2013, 11:08 PM
guinness
those were the days

vCash: 500
I put my desktop to sleep, because I'd rather be able to wake up in the morning, and have my computer operational within a few seconds, and I've always thought it saves a bit of wear and tear on the components, but that's probably wishful thinking (my BIOS is set to run my case fans at quiet, but when starting from an off state, they run at full blast, until the BIOS kicks in).

I do think that SSD is the wave of the future, but when I could walk into Target today, and saw that they had a 3 TB external drive for $140, and a 128 GB SSD is close that price, perhaps a bit cheaper, I was wondering if it's a nice thing to have, or a real benefit for desktops at this point, depending on personal usage.

For me, it's perhaps I'm one of those "post-PC" types, and other than gobs of storage and bigger monitors, there is so much I can generally just do with a browser/tablet/netbook.

One of my co-workers has both an iMac and MBA with SSD's, and he loves them, but I don't make as much as he does either. I guess another way I look at it, is that if I was building a desktop today, I'd spring for SSD, but when I built this rig in 2010, it was a definite luxury.