View Single Post
Old
03-30-2013, 11:16 PM
LoveHateLeafs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Lehkonen isn't a worse player than Teräväinen, just a bit different. The reason why Teräväinen went in the 1st round despite being a lightweight was his offensive upside, he was one of the most skilled players in last year’s draft.

Lehkonen is ahead of last year’s Teräväinen in some areas of the game
Could you be more specific?

Quote:
but for many the hypothesis is that his offensive upside isn’t as high as with Teräväinen. That’s probably the reason why he’s not listed as a 1st rounder in some of the rankings.
I kinda understand what you're saying, but you'll need to be a bit more specific about what you mean by "skills", which can mean a lot of different things (stickhandling, passing, shooting, skating agility etc). It's not that I don't believe you, since there are evidently more than a few scouts who believe something similar. In Bob McKenzie's January scout survey, Lehkonen was placed 40th. The thing is, at some point higher offensive upside or skills (however you define them) ought to manifest themselves on the scoresheet, and Lehkonen's offensive production has been equal or superior to Teravainen's at every level (taking into account Teravainen is nearly a year older).

I guess what perplexes me is that, on the one hand, we have Teravainen, who some scouts consider the 34th best prospect in the world. On the other hand, we have Lehkonen who despite being nearly a year younger had a season that (on paper) looks equal to (or perhaps better than) the one that Teravainen just had in the same league. And yet, Lehkonen is almost universally considered not to be first round material in this draft, which doesn't seem to differ much in quality from last year's outside of perhaps the top 6.

I could understand this discrepancy if Lehkonen were tiny, but he's listed at 180cm, the exact same height as Teravainen. Whenever I've seen him and Teravainen play together, I just never got the impression that Teravainen was light-years ahead.