Thread: Player Discussion: Marian Gaborik
View Single Post
Old
03-31-2013, 01:07 AM
zuckera1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I can't say I dislike Gaborik. I think he's an amazingly talented goalscorer, but I'm just not a fan of having a player of his ilk on the team in general. I have nothing against him as an individual player, but smallish, fragile, one-dimensional scorers are not as great as their numbers might lead you to believe.

Whether it is age, health, or lack of passion, he just doesn't break out his amazing speed and talent nearly as often as he used to. As a result, he's really dependent on the offensive creativity of the players on the ice with him.

Also, he's a player that is very easy for other teams to take out of the picture in the playoffs.

I know he has generally been very productive as a Ranger, not to mention virtually his entire career, but for the salary he makes, you can get a better player that produces nearly as much, if not more, without some of the negative qualities Gaborik inherently brings.

I thought it was a mistake to sign him. Not because he wouldn't produce, but because he's a player that can hold you back if he isn't fulfilling his main duty, and unfortunately, that's likelier to happen to him than to other players.

Still say we should have waited and signed Kovalchuk.