03-31-2013, 06:08 AM
TooMuchMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
First move:
To Dallas: Koklachev, Bartowski, Svedberg and 2nd round pick
To Boston: Stephane Robidas and Ray Whitney
Love the idea of adding Robidas. Underrated two-way guy with pluck. Very affordable in 2013-14... but he's got a NTC (as does Whitney) and I'm not sure that this deal gets it done... Whitney I'm not as high on (*because* he has another year left) but he's still producing solidly and we can buy him out. FWIW, Jagr doesn't have a NTC and has just a year left. (though reports of him negotiating an extension could be a bad sign).

Aside from the NTC's the biggest obstacle would be their price-tags. Excluding Svedberg, I think Robidas could cost the rest of the deal by itself. Dallas also has solid 'tending talent in the pipeline and won't necessarily be too enamored with Sveddy. Upping the pick to a first gets us closer - but even then I'm not certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Second move:
To Edmonton: 1st Round Pick, Adam McQuaid, Jordan Caron
To Boston: Magnus Paarjavi and Ryan Smyth
I'm far less bullish on this end of the deal. At this point in his career, Smyth is a borderline third-line producer. Throwing him in the B's lineup slows down the B's bottom-six as well - and I can't be certain EDM would move him.

Paajarvi has significant upside, but he doesn't do much to help the Bruins this year. Right now, his possession game (particularly in the O-zone) is below replacement-level and he's not exactly scoring in bunches... plus, the Oil will be reticent to deal him when his value is so low for much less than what I'd consider an overpayment.

I don't like the idea of dealing a cheap, solid 6D with oodles of toughness for this package. Adding in the 1st in a deep draft - and Jordan Caron (who, despite his offensive struggles, knows the system and is a decent defensive player) ... and I just don't see this as a win for the Bruins.

So, I like the first deal (though it would cost more than the OP suggests, IMO) and not the second. Unfortunately, I think Robidas, with a year left on his current deal, is too cost-efficient for Nieuwendyk to move... or he could veto a trade. Whitney may or may not have the B's on his No-trade list.

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote