View Single Post
Old
03-31-2013, 07:33 AM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Rychel scared me, because at times he seemed to be complacent. Like there were games he played that he didn't really care about the outcome. At the nd of the year, he was a guy who carried the mail, and played hard until the last whistle. He works hard, can hit, has solid offensive upside, and he is what we call country strong.

His skating is his downfall at this point, but proper coaching fixes that, so I'm way less worried, as he already skates effectively.

For me, if you have Rychel, Fucale, Erne, or Wennberg on the board, you have a tough choice. A couple top-6 power forwards with scoring upside, a #1 goalie prospect, and a 2-3 center to chhose from, would be both a dream and a nightmare.

I'm sold on Rychel, for the record. Intangibles are there, and the upside is definitely there offensively. He already plays the body, and drops the mitts, so he could be a great addition if we let him develop in the OHL and AHL.
Bruins fan coming in peace.

I cover the draft eligible players and do rankings (for past 4 years) for OHL writers and you're on target with Rychel.

He's definitely an enigma of sorts. The problem with him is twofold:

1) Consistency. Not just from game to game, but shift to shift. He could go out there and be dominating at times and the very next shift you wouldn't even know he was on the ice

2) Complacency. At times he seems like he's just going through the motions. He loses battles he shouldn't - or sometimes doesn't even engage.

The truth of the matter is that Rychel isn't a "go to guy" He's an excellent "supporting guy". Rychel will still put up points by himself, but if he didn't have to be the go to guy with all the pressure, he's a different player.

Proof is in the pudding when Alex Khokhlachev came back from the KHL. Rychel became more of a threat, more engaged and not only a goal scorer but a guy who could set up his mates. 32 of his 47 assists came in his final 29 games once Khokhlachev returned. He had 15 in his first 39 games. And he'll still put the puck in the net.

If you're interested in our OHL rankings you can find them here http://ohlwriters.com/articles/end-o...skater-1-10--2

Brock Otten who covers the OHL did a survey of 17 independent scouts and media on the top 10. Has some good thoughts on Rychel and others here http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...-for-2013.html