View Single Post
Old
03-31-2013, 11:22 AM
caley

vCash: 500
Philadelphia Interested in Steve Mason

Aaron Portzline had an interesting deadline column where he talked about the goalie market with many of the oft-discussed goalies (Luongo, Khabibulin, Kiprusoff, Bishop etc.) but what caught my eye was the part about Mason because I hadn't heard his name brought up in some time.

Quote:
Goaltenders who could be on the move: Los Angeles’ Jonathan Bernier, Ottawa’s Ben Bishop, Edmonton’s Nikolai Khabibulin, Calgary’s Miikka Kiprusoff, Anaheim’s Jonas Hiller and the Blue Jackets’ Steve Mason.
Yes, Mason. Philadelphia was kicking the Blue Jackets’ tires for Mason even before it traded Jeff Carter to Columbus two summers ago.
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...-deadline.html

I actually think Mason could be a solid NHL goalie, but I'm not sure that Philly wouldn't rip him apart. Personally, I think the best fit for him would be Phoenix. If the Coyotes decide to move Smith, Mason could be a decent relatively cheap replacement, and even if they don't move Smith, I'd like to see what Goalie Jedi Sean Burke could do with Mason and it would keep him out of the hockey microscope and see if he can find his game.

EDIT: After re-reading it, this sounded more like Speculaiton, so I changed my prefix