Thread: Player Discussion: Derek Stepan
View Single Post
Old
03-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_captain View Post
Have been truly impressed with his play this season, at both ends of the ice. He is still very young with lots of room to grow. Right now, he's playing at about a 70 point pace in a full season for the worst offensive team in the league.

My question is: what do you think his ceiling is? I always thought of him as a max #2 center, but I'm starting to change my mind. I can easily see a 25 goal, 60 assist season in his future playing with Nash. Combined with increased physical play, that's a #1 pivot.
I've been openly critical of Step in the past but he has certainly been our best 2 way player this year.
Realistically speaking, I believe he'll do just fine as a #2 pivot and we should all be more than satisified if he produces 20/40 seasons going forward which is pretty darn good production from a 2nd rd pick.
I really don't think he has all the tools and talent necessary to compete night and night out against legit #1 pivots in the league.

This should not be interpreted as a knock against Step; I just don't think it's realistic for him or the team for him to be the #1 pivot going forward as opposed to him becoming the "de-facto" #1 pivot this year because of Richard's failures.