Old
08-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Menard View Post
Since you've asked, I'll reply.

Listen, I take my writing very seriously. I've been in the journalism gig for over a decade (my resumé's on my Web site: http://www.menardcommunications.com), and I have a number of jobs both in the corporate world and in the media, so my integrity is all-important to me.

Obviously, I can't get to every game that every prospect plays (my wife would shoot me), but I try to catch as many as I can either live or on the tube. As well, I talk to a lot of insiders, scouts, management, and other journalists. I'm in fairly regular contact with people like Trevor Timmins, Don Lever, etc... From that research (plus a lot of reading) I formulate my opinion.

That opinion is then vetted by the other writers and editors of Hockey's Future. They're allowed to put their two cents in, especially in the case if they've seen a prospect more often than I have.

Then, as you've said, it's simply one person's opinion. But, I hope you'll agree, it's an informed opinion.

It's not an easy list to put together because everyone has their favourites -- even those of us who are supposed to be unbiased. But I think it's accurate. I debated long and hard about bumping Latendresse to the top, but the fact of the matter is that I've heard a lot, both on and off the record, about how this kids is turning into a monster. He's dominating the competition he's in. Kostitsyn, the elder, is too mercurial. I'm not 100% sold on Price until I see what he can do on an adequate team. And Chipchura, while I love his leadership and grit, doesn't have the skill set that either Latendresse or Kostitsyn have.

In fact, if talent was all it took, Locke would still be on this list, but there's a lot to go in it.

Secondly, positioning is a factor. I was leery about putting Fischer at 7, but the fact is that defence is a need for the Habs, which puts a premium on his services. Power forward is too, which makes Latendresse all the more attractive of a prospect. To whit, Halak could probably be in the top 5 in the Toronto list I just completed, but due to the fact that he's behind both Price and Danis, he's less of an attractive prospect for the Habs -- and then think of what that does to Heino-Lindberg.

There you have it. I do the best I can with what I have. I hope you enjoy the writing, I hope you appreciate the effort. What you do with the information is up to you. You can agree, you can disagree, you can think I'm a monkey sidling up to a keyboard for all I care.

And, as those of you who have taken the chance to write to me know, I'll always write back. I appreciate the time you take in reading and responding to my work, so it's the least I can do to repay your investment.

All the best,

Jay
Hey Jason, thanks for taking the time to reply to us.

I just have one objection, I think Lappierre should be 1 or 2 spots higher, but other than that, I like your list very much.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote