View Single Post
Old
08-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
I agree dedalus...

I threw out an arbitrary number...10 years after retirement, and assuming he's still within in the organization. Between everything he's done for the organization, over a 20+ year span, as a player, ambassador to the organization and game, as well as whatever else he may contribute (perhaps coaching is in the cards someday), then perhaps serious consideration may be considered. His numbers alone, combined with his efforts on the ice, likely do not get him there; it gets him pretty close (300 goals as a Ranger, some steady 30+ goal seasons, an enforcer/protector, a guy who helped bring along some kids, etc.), but perhaps no cigar. If this was the late 80s or early 90s, I'd say why isn't #4 hanging, or maybe even #26, as those were a couple of my favorite players in the 70s and 80s, and they were long time Rangers. The test of time would hold true, except for, as you mentioned, the no-brainers. Although it's odd that the 1994 team really is still near to many hearts, guys like Larmer, Lowe, Matteau and others are still remembered and a standout like Graves may stand the test of time, unlike some guys from the 70s and 80s.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote