View Single Post
Old
04-01-2013, 08:55 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
That's fine, but it also means you must think Halak and Quick are also "average at best" goalies who suck. Because their save percentages are even lower than Bryzgalov's despite playing on better teams.
Quick? No. He's still recovering from an off-season back surgery. It's possible he never regains full range of motion / the full amount of quickness that made him so elite, but I'm willing to give a Conn Smythe winner coming off of back surgery a bit of a break, he's earned it. If he's still playing like this next year though, it's time to talk about whether he will ever truly regain his form.

Halak? He's posted 15 poor starts this season after 46 dominant starts on the same team last year. Do I think he sucks? No. Is he struggling? Yes. Will that be cause for concern if it continues? Yes. Would I say that he sucks if he reaches 30 starts and still has such a crappy save %? Yeah, probably.

The bottom line for me is that Ilya Bryzgalov has now played 92 regular season games in Orange and Black and has a save % of .906. That's not what we paid for. That's not cutting the mustard. It's not like he's been injured, it's not like this is a small little 15 game sample, this is prolonged terrible, inconsistent goaltending. When you see that and then you look over to Phoenix and see that they turned Mike Smith into a .930 save % starter last year and have LaBarbera @ .918 this year, you start to think that MAYBE, just MAYBE Ilya Bryzgalov isn't a franchise goalie. Maybe he's a system goalie who got paid big money thanks to Phoenix's defense-first system and Snider's stupid comments.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote