View Single Post
Old
04-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
At this point, I'd not want the habs to trade picks for players because of the deep draft and Timmins factor. But there are bound to be prospects we can trade that we are confident won't come back to bite us in the ass. I won't pretend to know who these prospects are but there are has to be some guys who haven't developed according to plan.

Even with the prospects that do develop well, you might end up losing them also. You can only stockpile so many prospects; they cant all play for your team. At some point, one way or another, you either keep them, let them sign elsewhere, waive them, or trade them.

If the asking price for Clowe is something like a 2nd and Leblanc, i'd definitely consider it. In my opinion, with the parity in the NHL now, there's no possibility of building a dynasty. In any given year, if the pieces fall into place, you kind of have to go for it. I'm definitely not for sacrificing the future, but I think we are dreaming if we believe that stockpiling prospects will turn our team into a potential 90's-2000's Red Wings. It doesn't really work that way anymore. The majority of GM's now are pretty decent, in the sense that they have scouts everywhere, they miss far less great prospects than they used to. Obviously there are better GM's and better scouts, but not to the degree there was in the 90's.

All to say that prospects can definitely be overrated in the great scheme of things. Sometimes you have to roll the dice, simply because there will never be a perfect year to pick up a player at the deadline. Every year we will be saying "not this year, next year's our year." I just think it doesn't exist.