View Single Post
Old
04-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Scott04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
I understand that Tortorella's act probably gets old as a player, but I really don't think he's the problem. They replaced Dubinsky, Anisimov, Prust, and Rupp with Nash, Powe, Asham, and Pyatt. That's clearly an upgrade offensively with Nash, but all four of those guys they lost are players who understood the system and played within it. Add to that certain players having bad seasons (Richards, Gaborik, Lundqvist, etc.) and you've got the recipe for an underwhelming season. Like the Devils, their issues are more with the way their roster is constructed and key players underperforming than it is the coaching.
If Torts is the issue, its not because of the act with the media and all of that stuff. Just makes him more frustrating when they are losing. He's probably (part of) the problem because of the system he employs. He just handcuffs them offensively with everyone having to dive in front of pucks all over the defensive zone. Their real speed guys (particularly guys like Hagelin) don't get the chance to utilize that speed into the neutral/attacking zones as much as they should. And that's when the lack of depth/talent shows on the score sheet.

I think his other issue is just terrible man management in regards to the lines/ice time. I know he doesn't have a ton to work with on the depth side of things, but you can't roll 3 forward lines and 2 defensive pairings as heavily as he does on a near nightly basis. The mileage he put on his players was their downfall for much of the playoffs last year. And leaning on them as heavily as he is this year doesn't help either when the depth isn't there to relieve the pressure off the top.

And for what its worth, Lundqvist isn't making the impact he was last year. He's playing well, but he's not single-handedly winning games like he did last season. This ties into other players not having as good of a season as well, but it all adds up somewhere.