View Single Post
Old
04-01-2013, 03:37 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Baseball, football and basketball all correctly rank teams by percentage because that's the way to handle games in hand. The NHL does this neanderthal math thing, and reporters dutifully follow suit.

The point of listing standings is so that fans can look at the list and see how teams fare relative to each other. But if you look at the NHL standings right now you'd think Columbus is in a healthier, better position than the Blues in the standings. That's the conclusion to which the NHL's presentation of its standings will lead its fans. And yet when it comes to anything official like waiver wire order, they use the same percentage rankings as do the other sports. Their standings are deliberately confusing and there's no push from writers to make any changes since it gives them exciting yellow copy.
I agree the NHL's standings lack clarity, but I don't think it's something to lambaste JR about. As you mentioned, he's definitely not the only reporter using the point standings to determine ranking. His information is technically correct; the Jackets are ahead of the Blues in terms of points earned. If both teams lose every game for the rest of the season, the Jackets would be ahead of the Blues. That's what I meant by games in hand mean nothing unless they become wins.