View Single Post
Old
04-01-2013, 05:42 PM
metmag

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
I knew that perfectly well, I'm talking about the actual game here though where one right-handed left wing replaced another while Varnakov is left-hand shot and plays on the right wing. So how come he was the replacement of Klimenko? In this sense it doesn't matter how it was done and what pieces were moved around it was Panarin in, Klimenko out at the end.
Even with the game its still a good move. Especially for SKA. I would argue that one for one, Panarin is a better and bigger player overall. Panarin is also developing and is not at his peak yet. He has been improving steadily(hindered this year a little bit by the injury he suffered from minsk in the beginning of the season) every year.
Panarin comes up big in OT and shootouts, of which Vityaz had alot this year so he would be good for pressure situations such as the playoffs. Perhaps you remember the Final of the U20 where I would credit mostly him for Canadas loss and Russia's epic comeback. Panarin's contract is expiring with Vityaz and I doubt he will be staying there. Many capable teams such as Ak-Bars and SY would be putting in offers I imagine; and long term ones perhaps. SKA can afford Panarin and it wouldnt be a surprise that they wanted to have him play and get used to the atmosphere in order to entice him to sign a contract there afterwards.

After all, this move paid off. 14 games, 9 pts, +9 . Just 14minutes average. Very productive. The same cant be said about Klimenko, even if we account for the fact that he was playing with Atlant after all.

Hands down very smart move from SKA management, especially as Vorky said when you look at the trades. Osipov is a young big Dman that has also been extremely productive these playoffs. And the pick they gave up was nothing as they wont be icing any 18yr old draftees anytime soon.
to the management. This was not just to keep themselves busy by any means.

metmag is offline   Reply With Quote