View Single Post
Old
04-01-2013, 05:52 PM
ldnk

vCash: 500
Kiprusoff has had a very good career and he really shouldn't be disrespected for it but I'm just not seeing the value he brings at this point. He's a 5.9M cap hit for next year for the team that takes him on.

His stats this year are abysmal. He was very good last year and below average the year before that. Calgary hasn't made the playoffs since 08/09.

And beyond the big run in 03/04 he hasn't won a single playoff series. His last two postseason appearances were again...BAD.

3.21 GAA and .908 SV% in 2007/2008
3.52 GAA and .884 SV% in 2008/2009

I'm just not seeing what he adds to a team at this point. Veteran mentorship is all well and good when you are replacing a somewhat useless backup but I'm just not seeing a huge problem in the play of either Scrivens or Reimer. Neither goaltender is going to carry the Leafs to a Cup this spring but that's not really the expected end point to the Leafs season this year.

The media, particularly Glen Healy like to claim that the Leafs are one of the few playoff teams with goaltending issues. Both of the Leafs goaltenders are in the top 18 for league SV%. Teams with better combined goaltending this year (as in a team not carried by 1 dominant goaltender and one hanger-on: Ottawa, Pittsburgh, and Boston. The Leafs are 8th overall in team SV%.

Last edited by ldnk: 04-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.