04-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Look, I can't make it much more plain.

If you don't want to see the numbers, fine.

But if you think the Wings signed Franzen to be a disengaged, 27 goal guy, I can't help you.

He was on a season-long hot streak.

I questioned the wisdom of putting much stock in a 13-month hot streak.
He had 38 goals in 239 games
(13 goal pace)

He got super hot when Holmstrom was injured, and then went bonzai after banging his head in the playoffs.
And carried his strong play into the next season... scoring a 40-goal pace in the regular season ... and a 56-goal pace over the 91-game stretch prior to his contract.

To me, that 56-goal pace is the ONLY excuse Holland has for Franzen's lifetime deal.

He was a 3rd/4th liner before that 91 game stretch.
Based on 91 games, he was given a LIFETIME contract that essentially ended any chance we kept Hossa.

So, if not that 56-goal pace, then what?
What possible reason would Holland have?

It's revisionist history to suggest that the Red Wings expected a 72-game, 27 goal goal scorer.

You don't give 12 year contracts to lazy floaters with 90 games of goal scoring on their resume
You said this:
I don't think anyone expected Franzen to keep up his 56 goal place--But 35 to 40, I think, is about what was expected.
You crunched your own numbers and also said this:
He produces at a 32 goal pace.
So, not only does he not produce far from what you say people expected of him, but you also say that no one expected the 56 goal thing to be his norm. But then you want it to be the only reason he was signed to the contract he was given.

Yeah, crystal clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post
Winger, when you watch Franzen play do you see a player engaged and active during his shifts? Do you see a level of effectiveness coming even close to what Franzen was 3-4 years ago? Are you content wit him looking old and disinterested most every night? How hard is Franzen skating night in night out? I rarely see him take a hard stride oduring a shift. You have been a Franzen sapologist for way too long.
I'm content with him going out and putting up around 30 goals every year, and I don't think that ability gets the appreciation it should because he looks lazy, or he doesn't maintain a goal scoring pace that was ridiculous to begin with. Last year, he was the 34th leading goal scorer in the league (actually tied for 14th if you go by goals scored and lump everyone together who had matching totals). Out of...700 players? And his cap hit is less than $4m. And that's a problem?

On the list of things wrong with the wings, that guy is not in the top 10.