View Single Post
Old
04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
beth

vCash: 500
I started with asst coaching mites and beginners my first year, then squirts, and I just finished up with peewees.

USA Hockey maps a lot of practices out for you. I don't know if you've been to the coaching part of their website, but they have tons of practice plans. You will go through coaching certification training where you will learn about the American Development Model and how to plan for your particular age group.

That being said, I've learned a ton of stuff from other coaches. I spent a lot of time on private lessons for myself and from those I built up a "library" of sorts - exercises that I enjoyed doing and got a lot out of. Also, the women's league I play for has some amazing coaches on rotation, so whenever there's an awesome drill/game that we did. I add it to my list. I take a LOT of notes.

That's the planning part. And that's easy. The more difficult part is knowing how to motivate kids and inspire them and keep them loving hockey. Take a look at the Positive Coaching Alliance website for some ideas with that. Watch other coaches for how they interact with their team. I like to lurk by the benches of the higher level teams and learn a lot that way. This year I got to listen via headset to one of the T-birds coaches during a game and I learned SO much from that about how to use each moment to teach the kids on the bench and keep things positive.

It really is a lot of work, but so rewarding. Don't go into it unless you are going to go all out. I've assisted coaches that had big ideas in the beginning, and then went all half-assed partway through and it was frustrating for me and the kids too.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote