View Single Post
Old
04-01-2013, 10:57 PM
petesrw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I don't think it's necessarily the extra year given to guys like Bert and Sammy that are killing us, but Holland being unwilling to make moves to compensate for these signings. Coming into this season, I was okay with signing Sammy and Tootoo to bulk up the right side, but then Holland needed to clear some room elsewhere. Move Miller, move Eaves.

Holland deals a couple of guys, Tatar and Nyquist are up for a full season this year. Then Cleary is gone after this season. Maybe Flip. and we have a couple of roster spots to either promote a kid (Sheahan, Jarnkrok) or go after a UFA.

It's Holland's decision to just stockpile, stockpile, and stockpile that backs up the system a bit and lets assets rot on the vine.
I agree for the most part, though we are counting on Holland to make tough decisions that he hasn't made in years. His loyalty will be tested for sure between potential buyouts and not resigning solid players that have been with us for many years, or maybe losing multiple prospects.

Following the rule "don't sign old guys for more than one year" would have given the team a ton more flexibility.