View Single Post
Old
04-01-2013, 11:44 PM
major major

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack88 View Post
Since Columbus spends more time in its zone than the offensive zone, they will have more faceoffs in that zone (goalie covers, icing ect.) A team like Montreal that constantly outshoots its oppenent (a good metric of zone possesion) they're players will be above 50% zone starts average. Zone starts can give a good idea about how a coach uses a certain player. However, by itself is a fairly useless state and should only be used together to support or dissmiss other stats.

Also something to consider is zone starts exclude neutral zone starts, and are calculated as Offensive Zone / (Offensive Zone + Defensive Zone).

here's a good article: http://www.litterboxcats.com/2012/8/...nthers-florida
Thanks for the help. Though I think I need more help, to be honest.

Every single Jackets' forward has better zone finishes than zone starts with the lone exception being Colton Gillies. I'm still struggling to explain this, because even if we spend more time in our zone (which would explain starts being there a lot), most of our zone finishes are in the offensive end! Which is where the next zone starts are for whatever 5 players line up there after the whistle! On a team-wide basis, shouldn't % of starts in the offensive zone be almost the same as % of finishes in the offensive zone?? (You end a shift in a zone, you or someone else will then start a shift in that zone).