View Single Post
Old
04-02-2013, 07:01 AM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
In the Danny Flynn story in today's Moncton Times&Transcript:

Quote:
University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds head coach Gardiner MacDougall would be a high-profile candidate to become Moncton's new head coach if he's interested in coming to the QMJHL for a new challenge.

MacDougall has been UNB head coach for 12 seasons and during that time the Varsity Reds have won five Atlantic titles and made eight trips to the Canadian championship tournament. The Varsity Reds won their fifth national championship this season during his tenure.

He was named coach of the year four times in junior A in Western Canada before coming to UNB. He's built the Varsity Reds into a national powerhouse and accomplished everything you can imagine as a coach in the Canadian university ranks.

Irving likes to hire big-name head coaches who are proven winners and MacDougall certainly fits that description. The question is whether MacDougall would be willing to give up the great situation he has in Fredericton to take charge in Moncton.

Contacted last night, MacDougall didn't confirm that he was interested in the job as Wildcats head coach. He also didn't rule it out.

"We have an unbelievable situation at UNB," he said. "That's my NHL. My priority right now is player recruitment for next season there. I haven't thought about any movement to major junior or pro at this time. But Moncton is a marquee franchise and I have so much respect for the Wildcats and Mr. Irving."

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote