View Single Post
Old
04-02-2013, 10:12 AM
overpass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
One thing I did notice that Tarasov said in both books is that he was already down to 50 second shifts by 1967. Was that normal in the NHL as well during that time? Or would he be one of the few people at the time with modern shift-style?
Fred Shero was an NHL pioneer in short shifts and may have followed Tarasov's lead.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...78/3/index.htm

Quote:
The key part of Shero's plan, though, was much like his anti-Orr strategy: wear out the Connection by quick line changes.

Shero's plan became operative the moment*Perreault, Martin*and*Robert*skated out Thursday night for their first shift in Game One. The Connection was on the ice for exactly 97 seconds, and during that time Shero threw three different lines at them. On their next shift of 106 seconds, the Connection faced another three lines. And those line changes were done s-l-o-w-l-y, also according to Shero's design. "We wanted to disrupt any momentum they might have been building up,"*Clarke*said.

Quote:
Shero became a disciple of the Russian school of hockey while coaching at St. Paul in the mid-1960s. "Anatoli Tarasov's book became my bible," he says. "I've read it at least 100 times. Even now I still don't know all there is to coaching. I'm still learning, which is why I went to*Russia*for a coaching clinic last summer. At least I realize I don't know everything.*

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote