View Single Post
Old
04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
ccgg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It's possible 1 will be there in the late 20's. Zykov especially.

Mantha was great in round 1. 11 points in 6 games. 2 goals last night to win the series vs PEI.
I would take him with the 30th pick (since Montréal will win the Stanley Cup) of course. I saw 5 of the 6 games, 3 games live. It's crazy how he can be invisible for a game but still scoring 2-3 goals and 3-4 points. He has a NHL wrist-shot for sure. He is a great skater, very fluid, good hands too. Sometimes, there are HFboarders who call him a powerfoward. But no, he is a creative offensive foward. While he is 6'4", he isn't physical. He tends to disappear and I don't want to insult Mantha, but the 11 points are more about PEI than Mantha. I'll quote myself after game 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
I was in the lounge at the Civic Center yesterday. It was nice, there was a good atmosphere. But the game was frustrating. Between the people who were screaming "shhoooott" for no reason at the bad moment, the players weren't playing as a team, as a unit. There is no support for the puck holder. There is too much space between each players in the offensive zone. In the defensive zone too, sometimes the fowards are already at the offensive blueline while a defenceman has the puck behind Antoine Bibeau. That creates several dangerous turnovers and scoring chances. PEI needs to play like a team. When the Rocket don't have the puck in the defensive zone, the defencemen are too aggressive. Even in a 2-men penalty kill, they try to hit other players. That creates even more space. We must be less agressive in the defensive area, play as a unit and be smarter. By the way, it was a great game for Ryan Graves. He even showed offensive awareness and anticipation ! IMO, the veterans must step up their game.
And since I'm a Habs fan and Rocket fan, I'll talk a bit about two prospects: Ryan Graves and Yan-Pavel Laplante. At the beginning of the season, I hated Graves. He was slow, soft, dumb. He played top-4 minutes but he wasn't ready. Tomas Pavelka needed to be a babysitter and he did it well. At the trade deadline PEI added Troy Vance, a Dallas Stars prospect. Graves played on the third pairing after this trade. In the last month, Ryan showed a big progression. He is faster, stronger and meaner. He is still not a bad-guy, but he is physical. He even showed offensive awareness, which is great since I was sure he was a second Hal Gill. He is now an "ok" skater. I think Gill is a good comparison. I don't know if he will be drafted, maybe in the 6th or 7th round, but as a Habs fan I don't want him.

Laplante. What a game last night. 3 goals, two in the third period. He touched the post twice in overtime. He was skating like the wind, crashing the net like the Rocket, back-checking like Plekanec. He was marvelous. But he just need to be more consistent. He is a hardworking-defensive-foward-with-speed or a top-prospect, it depends of the game. IMO, he is in the mold of Danault-Leblanc-Bournival. Like I said a speedy hardworking two-way foward with an unknow ceiling. I would cry of hapiness if Montréal drafts him in the 5th, 6th or 7th round because I am sure he can find a way to be a solid pro hockey player.