Thread: Confirmed with Link: Caps sign D Nate Schmidt
View Single Post
Old
04-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Greeting Caps fans!

Just saw that your team has signed Nate Schmidt. Excellent signing and not surprised that he was snapped up.

I saw Nate a lot at Minnesota, so here's the skinny on him:

As NobodyBeatsTheWiz mentioned, Nate is an offensive-minded defenseman, with a big shot. Nate's greatest asset IMO is his skating. He's very smooth and can quickly get up to speed. He transitions exceedingly well. And those assets have allowed him to skate with college hockey's faster guys and cover a lot of ice.

While a lot has been said about Nate's offensive abilities and instincts, which are great BTW, the only thing that seems to be lost in all of the discussion is how well he plays defensively. His gap control and containment is good, not afraid to play the body (although I wouldn't call him a "tough guy" - read that rack up the PIMs) and his stick is good too. One thing that Nate did exceedingly well at Minnesota this year IMO is how quickly he's been able to strip pucks off sticks and either get passes up to his teammates or make clears. He's just so good and so confident with the puck.

The biggest hurdle obviously for Nate will be how well/quickly can he adapt to the pro game. I think he'll be fine and want to wish him all the best with the Caps.

I hope this helps.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote