View Single Post
Old
04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
But I don't see that happening. We lost Hudler this offseason and who did we replace him with? Samuelsson? If we trade Filppula it will only push Cleary back into the top 6.

That's why I don't want to trade Filppula for more picks and prospects that won't be around for 5-7 years. I don't think this team is that far away from contending.
I disagree. That assumes that the Red Wings status quo isn't going to shift.

If the Wings DO go into "firesale" mode, Holland will be doing so with the knowledge that Helm, Samuelsson, and Bertuzzi are likely not coming back at all this season, and if they do, they aren't going be making contributions. He's already deviated from his "returning injured players will be our acquisitions" schtick because those guys, in fact, likely aren't returning.

So if we DO go into firesale mode, it'll effectively be leaving the team without Filppula, Samuelsson, Helm, Bertuzzi, Miller, and White down the stretch. Possibly Zetterberg too. That's a big transition. And with that big of a transition, the message is clearly "let the kids play."

As for not wanting to trade Filppula for more picks and prospects that "won't be around for 5-7 years," that also assumes the Wings status quo won't shift. IMO, the point of trading Filppula for picks - and all the other guys as well - isn't to stockpile assets for the next 5-7 years, but instead to make a trade for roster players that might be available in the future, the likes of which we've never been comfortable trading for before because we couldn't sacrifice the assets.