View Single Post
Old
04-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Yeah, I know. See above.

1922-23 was the swan song for basically the whole Seattle team as effective hockey players. Foyston and Walker would pop back up as shift guys for Victoria a couple years later, but they were over the hill starting in 1923-24, which is when Bill Cook began peaking. By the time that season rolled around, Frederickson and MacKay were pretty much the only old PCHA scoring stars left, Adams having gone back to the NHL a couple years before. Yeah, the prairie league was better.

The WCHL champs automatically went to the Cup Finals in 1922-23 (strangely, the playoff was between the PCHA and NHL champs), and proceeded to get swept by the Sens after years of nail-biters between the PCHA and NHL. That Edmonton team looks like it was largely carried by Joe Simpson, who was certainly an unusual scorer for a defenseman, but is neither here nor there in a discussion of scoring forwards. I don't recall the exact league standings, but I believe the PCHA was still the better league in the 1922-23 interlocking schedule. At any rate, in the early 20's just before they merged, both of those leagues were pretty clearly inferior to the NHL.

edit: I think Iain's method is probably sound, although I don't recall to exactly what extent they were interlocking. Did the leagues play half of their respective games against one another, or was it a 3/4 - 1/4 kind of deal?
1923 was an imbalanced interlocked schedule. Looks like the PCHA won 15 games and the WCHL won 10 games.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote